The Herman Stern lesson plans will be designed not only as a history lesson, but also as a teaching of social, economic and civic leadership.
Lessons will focus on:
- The economic and entrepreneurial success story of immigrants (Herman Stern) to North Dakota
- Herman Stern’s actions and work which led to the successful emigration of over 125 Jews from Nazi Germany
- Herman Stern’s Legacy
- Stories from descendants of the 125 Jews from Nazi Germany Stern saved
- Herman Stern’s Civic Contributions to North Dakota
- Founded the Greater North Dakota Association in 1924 (later known as the Greater North Dakota Chamber)
- Visionary for the North Dakota Winter Show 1937
- Key fundraiser for Winter Show Facility in 1961
- Instrumental in establishing Boy Scouts of American Councils in Fargo, Valley City, Wahpeton and Grand Forks. Later formed the Northern Lights Council
- Started a fundraising Campaign for Boy Scout Council Camp Wilderness
- Established the Community Chest for donations to address the needs of the community not covered by taxes. This later became known as the Barnes County United Way.